Virgina Lee Burton



I came across Virginia Lee Burton as an adult—as a teacher more specifically.  My kiddos and I were reading Katy and the Big Snow. Katy is an eager snowplow waiting to offer help and do what she does best, plow snow.  However, the past winters have been mild and Katy must be patient—confident that her chance to help her town and plow their streets will come.  Subsequently, to Katy’s delight, a giant snowstorm hits and she relishes plowing the streets of her town. However, as the snow keeps falling Katy’s endurance is tested as she pushes onward to help save the town. Despite the age difference, I found I was just as smitten with Katy as the six year olds.   Patience, capability, endurance, contribution—such life lessons! Such illustrations!  What a book! 

 
Unlike other author/illustrators, Burton stitched her words and illustrations into one seamless design. Generally with picture books we read the text first and then allow ourselves to look up afterwards, matching what we read with the picture. In contrast, Burton’s words draw your eye across the page feeding you into her folk inspired images. Jointly they invite you in and keep you securely tucked away in her timeless stories. 




After finding Katy and the Big Snow I couldn’t get enough of Virginia Lee Burton! The more I googled her the more I admired her. She’s the sort of person that I humor myself I would clearly have been a close personal friend of;

“Oh Virginia, how I loved Life Story! Introducing the evolution of our planet in the form of a five act play? Brilliant!” 

“I’m sorry who are you?” 

“Oh Virginia you're such a hoot!”  


Life Story













She grew up in Massachusetts and California and seemed to have had my idea of an ideal childhood, further evidence that we were kindred spirits.  
My memories of early childhood in Newton Corner consist of English folk songs and English folk dancing around a Maypole . . . celebrating Twelfth Night when everyone dressed up in costumes and the neighbors came in to sing and dance and "wassail" the old apple trees. On other holidays our parents put on marionette shows for us and our friends. Our old barn was converted into a school, and I believe the first Montessori System in this country was taught there. Dad, instead of giving us toys for birthdays and Christmas, gave us beautifully illustrated children's books, which he would read aloud to us. I am sure my interest in picture books stemmed from this.





She of course grew up to be an acclaimed children’s book author/illustrator. However, what most do not know of is her role as the founder of the Folly Cove Designer’s Collective, which produced beautiful arts and crafts inspired, folk block print, textiles and linoleum. She’s just that cool.  






Beyond her career, Burton was married in 1931 to her previous art teacher, George Demetrios, whose name she took, though still using her maiden name on her books.  The couple had two sons, and the family lived in the Folly Cove neighborhood of Gloucester where she eventually lead her collective.  Burton passed away in 1968 due to lung cancer.  


Today, she is remembered as the author and illustrator of her charming and timeless children’s books, and my close and personal friend.  So go on and grab one of her books, and your closest relative under the age of 10, and get to know Virginia Lee Burton and her lovely stories. 


Check her books out here! 



Comments

Popular Posts