Rhubarb Strawberry Pie


Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

My parents retired this summer by moving home to North Carolina!  So to celebrate we made ribs, sweet corn, a fresh salad and wrapped it all up with my Strawberry Rhubarb Pie!


Strawberry Rhubarb Pie 

Filling

6 cups sliced rhubarb
4 cups sliced/chopped strawberries
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 to 2 tablespoons orange juice 
dash of salt
few dashes of cinnamon (I love cinnamon)

Crust

I used the Cook's Illustrated Vodka Crust! Make sure you double it since this pie needs a top! I also like to use a large deep dish pie dish since as you can see there will be a lot of filling! I like to make the pie crust first and then let it chill until your filling is ready. Meaning I roll out the bottom crust and line the dish. I then leave the other crust in a ball in the fridge for later.  *have one egg for an egg wash

Next, Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Mix all ingredients for the filling in a large mixing bowl.  Pour it into your perpared deep dish pie crust. Dot the top with a few pieces of cold butter.

Using your second crust, roll it out.  I attempted to make a lattice top but it did not cooperate so I eventually resulted to using a star shaped cookie cutter. It is a sweet and simple way to top the pie with out any frustration.  Once you cut out all the stars you can from the first roll out, combine the scraps and roll it out again until the entire top of the pie is decorated to your liking.

Beat an egg, and brush over the top of the pie to complete your egg wash.

Now pop your pie into the oven for  an hour and a half or until the edges become a golden brown.  (I like to keep a cookie tray underneath on the rack below my pie so that any fresh fruity drippings don't make a mess for me to clean up later.) Transfer your pie to a cooling rack and allow it to cool for about 2 hours.

Now serve to your liking! (I like to serve my pies warm and a'la'mode.)

Enjoy!  

Comments

Popular Posts